Tuesday 2 May 2017

Busy in retirement and 2017

Hi Well here we are up to May and my what a busy few months it has been. 
I worked casual at NETS from July 2016 to Febuary 2017 and then made the decision that work was colliding with my social life and that it was time to cut the strings from a career that I loved.

Onwards and forward for me, I still continue with my first passion, quilting but it is amazing at how busy life can become once retired.

First of three UFO's completed

 In March  after a good clean out of excess goods that I had purchased over the years, had to be gone, so we had a Garage sale  and although we were rained out, I did manage to get rid of a lot of stuff, we will have to repeat the sale when it is better weather. All booked for Third week in April.

Just some of my collectables for sale.

In Sydney we had constant rain for 6 weeks where flooding occurred in some parts of NSW and QLD. 
Some lives were also lost, so tragic.
A second finish for March, my "Jungle Safari" quilt.

In March a group of friends and myself travelled to Lake Burrendong for our biannual quilt camp, fun and productivity  was had by all.
Sandy with her completed rope bag
Viv with a half completed Irish chain.

 I myself this year was dedicating my time to finishing off my UFO' s, having completed three already, I then felt that I could allow myself to start another one, not a wise decision as I have not picked it up since quilt camp.  
My Storm at Sea Quilt commenced.
My third finish for March, this jelly roll quilt stacked log cabin, I had commenced at Quilt camp last August.

In April I had visitors from NZ, Marg and Marc and we had a fun filled three days and got the opportunity to showcase our beautiful blue mountains to our NZ couple.

DH and Marc enjoying the sculptures exhibited in the Blue Mountains
The third weekend in April we repeated our garage sale and managed to get rid of a lot more stuff, so after a donation to the Op shop, we are all sorted and more space has been created.
My newly recovered wing chair, a great use of tapestries and collectable fabrics.

The last weekend in April is also the Springwood quilt show, where I always try to enter a few of my quilts each year, this year, I entered two.
"Eden" hand appliqued

"Frida" an attic window design and all my collectable's from my trip to Mexico, Frida Khalo a very modern woman before her time and I am fascinated with her life and paintings, this quilt is a tribute to her and her life.


A couple of tuffets whipped up
My completed rope bag, now sold, what a chore and a challenge to make.

 I entered two and also had the opportunity to be part Of The Unique Treasures stand, a very busy month in April, sorting through all my fabrics to destatsh, make bags, brackets, cushions, pin cushions, get rid of linen that I had collected over the years to do something with, but never did, time to have a clean up.

The quilt show as always was a great success, quilts were of good quality workmanship, food was good, stallholders are of a high standard and all the committee works very hard to deliver a great show.

Now on the countdown for our big trip in June.

1 comment:

  1. Your Tuffets and hand bag look wonderful on your Blog .great photos and lovely work .as usual.Viv. ( down the road )

    ReplyDelete

>